08 January 2009

Kodak Moment...

I have come up with a new phrase, okay, it is not exactly "new", more like I have found a new use for the phrase.

Allow me to explain...

Here in Northern California we are blessed with beautiful weather, amazing terrain and a copious number of groups rides for cyclists of all abilities. The area in which I live, Mountain View, has the Specturm ride which has been going on for a long time. The route is always the same (although a slight modification has been made recently for safety reasons), and a great way for me to stay sharp on my pack skills and when needed, get some intensity. Right now though, I am still in my base building period and more focused on steady tempo riding than going too hard.

A few weeks ago, my husband, James, and I joined the Spectrum ride and after establishing ourselves in the group and saying hello to friends, we settled into a steady pace. The group has a tendency to go hard on the climbs, coast on descents and medium effort on flats. This variable riding often lead me to be "dropped" on any rise/climb and fly by people when the road goes down again. I do my best to pull as far right as possible on climbs as to not get in the way of other riders who want to go harder. Yet, on this particular group ride, I had my Kodak moment.

We had just made a left hand turn and were coming up on another group of cyclists. I was towards the front of the group and moved left to safely pass the group being overtaken on a slight rise in the road. Because the group was going harder than I wanted, I also started going "backwards". Riders went flying by me on the left and all of a sudden I hear from behind me, "Webcor, stop blocking!!!". Hmm... okay, sure, blocking is a tactic used in racing but this wasn't a race, it was a group ride. I kindly respond saying, "Sorry, I am just trying to ride my own steady pace." This response was not good enough for this guy, as he had some more words for me, something about me blocking for my teammates or something like that. My reply to this, "this is a group ride not a race".

I do recognize there are people who particpate in the local group rides (where ever they are) and it is a serious thing for them. Yet, none of us paid money to join the ride, we didn't pin on any numbers, or sign a release form that absolved the organizer of any responsibility if we break anything.

I did not take the other rider's response personal by any mean. I found it more amuzing and good writing for my blog. Also, a new use for the phrase Kodak moment. :-)

Happy riding and thanks for reading.

1 comment:

norcalcyclingnews.com said...

you're entirely too polite, KatMatt.

shoulda bitchslapped that hosebag.
-

can't wait to see you riding this year!